My Progress

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Muffins that won't give you a muffin top!

I promised you some recipes yesterday - those of you who know me, know that I'm almost always late - well, better late than never!

In my spare time, I've tested a LOT of recipes lately. I like to try the original first, taste it, calculate nutritional info, and then tweak & re-calculate. I'm usually looking to lighten up the calories, use less sugar, and add more protein. I started adding protein powder to baked goods a few months ago, when I was inspired by fellow fitness blogger Joanna's Peanut Butter Protein Cookies over at www.fitnessandspice.com . It's a really great, easy, delicious way to bump up the nutritional value of any treats you're making! You can find the recipe for Joanna's cookies here.

I absolutely adore Bethenny Frankel from Real Housewives of New York, Bethenny Getting Married, and Bethenny Ever After! I had the pleasure of meeting her two years ago, and she is every bit as hilarious in person. I love her recipes because they're easy, healthy, and delicious. My favorite part about her recipes in her book, The Skinnygirl Dish, is that she lists several substitutions for each ingredient - they are truly a "use what you have" kind of recipe. I have made many of her recipes, but I have my favorites! Her Cranberry Pumpkin Spice Muffins are amazing, and I've put my own little twist on it to cut out some sugar and add some protein. Her original recipe can be found here.

Left to right: Katarina, Tina, Me, Bethenny, and my BFF JoAnn

Here is my adapted recipe for Cranberry Pumpkin Spice Protein Muffins:
3 cups oat flour (oat flour is just finely ground oats - you can also sub whole wheat flour)
1 cup raw sugar
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 egg
2 egg whites
1 3/4 cups pumpkin puree
3/4 cup water
2 scoops vanilla protein powder (I use BioChem Whey)
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 ½ cups dried cranberries

In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine raw sugar, melted butter, oil, eggs, pumpkin and water. Beat for 90 seconds, or until well mixed.
Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, protein powder, salt and spices, stirring until no streaks remain.
Combine flour mixture and pumpkin mixture. Stir in cranberries; stirring only until all ingredients are mixed.
Cover batter and allow to set at room temperature for 60 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Place muffin cups in muffin holders and fill 2/3 of the way full.
Bake for 40-45 minutes or until muffins tops spring back when lightly touched.

Note - these will make 12 regular size muffins. I like to make them as mini-muffins, so it's like instant portion control. One mini muffin is only 54 calories and 1.5 grams of fat!
These also freeze well - I wrap them individually in foil and then put in a freezer bag. They thaw out beautifully! I like to enjoy them warmed up, with a touch of spray butter. In fact, I'm kinda craving one now that I've written out my version of the recipe - I think I'll take a few out of the freezer right now! 

More recipes to follow later today! If you make these muffins, either mine or Bethenny's recipe, please let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment