My Progress

Thursday, April 14, 2011

New recipe- guilt free quiche

Okay- I am OBSESSED with quiche. I went through a phase last year where I was making two a week. I love it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, it's perfect anytime. And the great part is, it's totally customizable. I stick to the same recipe every time, because I'm a pretty picky eater. But all you veggie lovers can load this quiche up with asparagus, mushrooms, whatever you want- and it only increases the nutritional values!


Skinny quiche

6 oz baby spinach
1/4 cup diced white onion

1 cup bisquick heart smart baking mix
1-2 tbs water
1 egg white
1 tsp Parmesan cheese

1 egg
9 whites
1/2 cup light plain soy milk
3 strips of bacon crumbled
1/2 cup fat free cheddar cheese
Spinach
Salt & pepper
1/2 tsp nutmeg

preheat oven to 400 degrees
In a small bowl, combine the bisquick, egg white, Parmesan cheese, and water until it becomes a soft dough. On a bisquick floured surface, knead the dough a few times, then roll out into a circle the size of your pie pan, or whatever you are using. Lightly spray your pan with cooking spray, then place dough in the pan. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of Parmesan cheese over the dough, then pre- bake in the oven for about 10 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove, and set aside.

In a non-stick skillet under medium heat, spray with non-stick cooking spray (or EVOO, if you have a Misto sprayer like I do!). Sautée the onions until they start to slightly change in color. Add the spinach on top, season with salt and pepper. Stir until all the spinach is wilted, then turn off heat and let spinach cool. Set aside.

I like to microwave my bacon- it minimizes the mess, and soaks up all the excess grease. Layer two pieces of paper towel on a plate. Arrange the bacon on the plate so that they are not touching. Layer two more pieces of paper towel on top. Microwave for about 3 minutes, or until the bacon has reached the crispiness that you desire. Feel free to add more bacon if you like - I generally cook one minute per slice. Once cooked, take bacon off the plate and set aside to cool.

In a medium bowl, whisk the egg & egg whites until combined. Season with salt and pepper. Add the soy milk, and mix again. Add the crumbled bacon, cheddar cheese, spinach, and nutmeg, mix until combined. Pour mixture into your pie pan with the prepared crust, and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, sprinkle another teaspoon of Parmesan cheese on top of the quiche, and bake for another 8-10 minutes- until the mixture no longer wiggles when you shake the pan, and it's lightly browned on top. Let cool for 10 minutes, then slice into 8 pieces.

Just look at how this quiche stacks up nutritionally - only 117 calories per slice! If you're super hungry, you can absolutely afford to eat two pieces!
A couple of notes:
  • I do not own a pie pan. I don't know why, it seems to be the one thing in my kitchen that I am lacking. So I use my springform pan, and line it with foil so that nothing leaks through. Use what you have.
  • I've made this with several different crusts. Basic, store bought pie crust works great - but 1/8th of the crust contains about 180 calories, and I'm sure it's filled with butter. Tastes good, but no thanks. Phyllo dough works well also - use about 5 sheets for the crust and it won't do much damage, calorie-wise. Another option is a whole wheat crust - Wholly Wholsome has a great pre-made whole wheat crust that you can pick up at Whole Foods. I've used it a few times, but to me, it kind of tastes like cardboard.
  • Cooking times are estimates - keep your eye on the quiche! If it's overcooked, it's gross, so don't let it get too brown on top!
  • This holds up well in the fridge for 2-3 days - although in my house, it doesn't last that long!
  • Feel free to add whatever you'd like to the mixture! More veggies, different cheeses, the possibilities are endless. Get creative!
I was honestly stunned at the calorie content when I figured it all out. I'm so happy that I was able to make one of my favorite foods so figure friendly. This is also a great thing to make for guests - it looks impressive, but it's actually pretty easy!

My masterpiece, in it's springform pan



The finished product - TA-DA!!!
Yum - the piece I chose to devour!
 As always, please let me know if you try my recipe, and let me know what you think! I love to hear feedback!

No comments:

Post a Comment