My Progress

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Meatloaf Monday

Day one, not so bad! I actually quite enjoyed how I felt after I ate, in comparison to Sunday, when I felt like I was going to explode after eating a breakfast quesadilla, buffalo wild wings, and Red Mango! Here's how the day panned out:

Basically, I could use a little less carbs, and a little more protein. At the gym, I did a 40 minute leg workout, and 20 minutes on the elliptical. 

For dinner, I decided on meatloaf. I know the general consensus on meatloaf isn't that great, especially if you were forced to eat dry, tasteless, overcooked meatloaf as a child. Well, this is not your mothers meatloaf! I make mine with lean turkey, and bake into mini loaves, so that it's easily portion controlled. And I have two secret ingredients up my sleeve. Here's the recipe for my Cheesy Turkey Meatloaf:

For meatloaf:
1 package (20 ounces) lean ground turkey
2 tablespoons French Fried Onions 
1 piece light string cheese
1 tablespoon plain breadcrumbs
1 egg
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning (I prefer the McCormick grinders)

For topping:
2 tablespoons French Fried Onions
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
1 tablespoon of water


Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Cut the string cheese into small cubes, and combine all meatloaf ingredients in a bowl - do not overmix! My mini loaf pan makes 8 loaves, so I score the meat into 8 equal sections. If you don't have a mini loaf pan, try a cupcake pan.


Crush the french fried onions in a bag, and set aside. In a small bowl, combine the ketchup, brown sugar, and water. This should create a thin glaze. 


Evenly distribute the meatloaf mixture into the pan. Brush each one with the ketchup mixture. Bake for 20 minutes, then top with the crushed french fried onions, and bake for 5 more minutes.


I know, the addition of the french fried onions and the string cheese is a little weird, but trust me, it works beautifully. Eric and I both agreed that this was the best meatloaf I've ever made! 


Portion size is two mini loaves, which is just under 300 calories. Feel free to bulk up the recipe with vegetables - unfortunately, we just don't like them very much ;) Here's the nutritional info:


As usual, if you try the recipe out, please let me know what you think!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment