My Progress

Monday, March 21, 2011

Week 1 Wrap-up

They say the first week is always the hardest, right? Well mine was a little tough, but not so bad. 

The good news is, I survived. I lost a little over a pound, and went down 2% in body fat. So we are on the right track! Now I just have to keep it going for 14 more weeks!

I made it to the gym every single day - 7 days in a row! I was able to get in some more cardio, and add in different kinds, like the stairmaster and spinning. I want to get back on the treadmill, but my shin splints are still bothering me. Hopefully this week!

One thing I invested in to help me out was a food scale. I've always wanted one, but didn't know if it would really help me. I'm so glad I finally bought it, because it's been a big help! It was only $20, it does the most basic functions that I need, and it's small and doesn't take up too much space. When I started measuring food out on the scale, I got a much better idea of exactly how much I was eating of things that were harder to portion out. Like cheese, for example. I was assuming that I was putting 1/4 cup of cheese on my Turkey Taco Lettuce Wraps. Not so! I was only eating about half the serving size. Same thing with avocado, the turkey, etc. Now I can be more precise about tracking my meals. I know it seems a bit obsessive, but it's honestly the only way that this will all work for me! It's just how my brain works. 

I created a snack last week that has turned into a lifesaver for me. It's low cal, high in protein, filling, and tastes great. It gives me the little taste of sweet that I need, since I'm not eating any sweets! It's a half cup of lowfat cottage cheese, 1/8 cup of oats (you can also use granola) and a drizzle of honey. I know, it sounds weird. But the oats add some interesting texture and help fill you up, and the honey balances it all out. This is a new staple for me, I'm obsessed!

Below, I'll list the breakdown of Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. I won't include Saturday, since it was my cheat day! Although I didn't go crazy, all things considered. I had a bridal shower and a bachelorette party that day - so I worked out in the morning, and ate a small healthy meal before I left for the shower, so that I didn't stuff my face with a million things that were awful for me. At dinner, all the girls shared a bunch of small plates - so that worked out very well!



Lots of carbs on Friday, but Fridays are always a struggle during lent! For dinner that night, I made a margherita pizza with garlic & herb dough from Trader Joes. I rolled the dough out super thin, so it was a nice, crispy thin crust! Add fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, and fresh basil, and you have an easy homemade pizza that you can have 4 squares of for around 240 calories. I usually use their whole wheat pizza dough, but this looked too good to pass up. Next time, I am going to make individual pizzas, so I can get more exact nutritional information.

I'm so sore from boot camp yesterday, but I have a 3:00 appointment with the trainer today! Pray for me, I'll need it!

 

2 comments:

  1. what program are you using to document your food and fitness journal?

    I'm soooo sore from boot camp too! Good luck today, seriously. I give you a lot of cred with going through with the appt still! I'm only doing cardio tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use www. livestrong.com - I think it's the best and easiest tool out there. You can also create your own recipes, get the nutritional info, and save for later use. They also have a great iPhone app as well, which is great for when you're out and about and you want to look up a certain food, or want to document a meal or workout.

    Training was tough!!! But I made it! For sure taking the day off tomorrow, today was my 8th day in a row and I probably won't be able to walk tomorrow LOL.

    ReplyDelete